Submit proposals via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Name(s) * Primary Email Address * Phone Number * Major(s)
Are you a VCUarts student? Y/N/Alumni
If no, what is your major? (All majors are encouraged to apply!)
Have you had work in the Student Art Space before? Y/N
Please describe your proposal for the space(s) in 1-2 paragraphs. Please be specific– the more we know, the more we can understand how your project can work in the SAS gallery spaces!
How would you contextualize this project within your larger body of work?
Numbered Images (5-10)
List of Works that corresponds to images. Include image number, title, dimensions, year, materials, brief explanation if necessary.
Send us a link to something good 😉
How did you hear about the Student Art Space?
Any and all media is accepted. This includes, but is not limited to 2-D, 3-D, installation, video/animation, sound, music, performance, new genres/experimental media, etc.
Students may propose solo shows as well as group exhibitions.
Gallery space is located at the Student Commons and the Cary Street Gym. Spaces available in the Student Art Space (SAS) in the Commons includes the main (front) gallery space, the smaller back gallery and the glass display case outside the gallery. In addition to the Student Commons space, the Cary Street Gym houses glass display cases that are located in various places around the gym.
The glass display case that is located in front of the SAS gallery in the Commons, has a corkboard back and wood sides. The space is 42″ high, 71″ wide and 10.5″ deep. Any media is encouraged, especially those that utilize and push the entire allotted space within the case and (possibly) beyond.
For your consideration when submitting your proposal:
- Time slots and space are tight and submissions are plenty. Rise and shine with an ambitious proposal and quality images of your work.
- That being said, times are tough, and always fleeting. Know your limitations. We want you to propose grand, ambitious installations. However, don’t propose installations that are way out of your range of ability. Collaborations are encouraged.
- Proposals should be detailed, specific, and concise.
- Proposals that transform and work well with the space have a better chance of succeeding.
- Know your resources. While the SAS will offer as much assistance as we can afford, there are limitations to our budget and time.
- The glass cases are relatively small but it hold a lot of potential. Great installations need not be great in size!
- A floor plan of the Gallery with dimensions can be downloaded here. It may help us if you layout your show (however loosely) and send it along with your images. Remember, the clearer you are about your intentions, the more likely your proposal will be accepted.